*Depression, anxiety, stress*
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 6-8 minutes
• 2 cups whole wheat noodles or linguini
• 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends snapped off
• 1 red stemmed silverbeet leaf, sauteed
• Shallots, to garnish
• Toasted walnuts, to garnish
• ½ cup walnuts, toasted
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons mellow white miso paste
• 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 2 pinches salt
• ¼ cup warm water
• To make the dressing, use a food processor to puree the walnuts, olive oil, garlic, miso paste, vinegar, and honey. Add the warm water a bit at a time until the dressing is the consistency of a heavy cream. Add more salt if needed.
• Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Cook the noodles per package instructions, being careful to not overcook.
• About 10 seconds before you are going to drain the noodles, add the asparagus to the pot.
• Drain and toss with about 1/2 the walnut-miso dressing – you can make the dressing as you’re waiting for the pasta water to come to a boil. Add as much or as little dressing as you like to the noodles and toss well. Arrange in two bowls.
• Top with shallots, sauteed silverbeet & chopped stems, a few toasted walnuts.
THE GOOD STUFF…
Whole wheat noodles are a complex carbohydrate that increases serotonin levels.
Walnuts are full of omega-3’s that fight depression and anxiety.
Asparagus is a source of tryptophan, which increases levels of serotonin in the brain that helps alleviate depression and anxiety.
Garlic is one of our favourites and nature’s own medicine. It is good for heart health, reducing blood pressure, fighting colds and flu, and maintaining a strong immune system. Allicin is the medicinal compound in garlic formed when it is chopped, crushed or minced. High in vitamins B6 & C, manganese, selenium and fibre, it is nutritious and low in calories.
Silverbeet is high in nitrates, vitamins K, A & C, magnesium, and potassium. It also contains the antioxidants alpha and beta-carotene.