Well, my mirror frame had been ready to grout…
…and I’d decided on what I thought would be the perfect colour grout to use – metallic copper. The acrylic paint I was using was a beautiful glossy deep copper, but I just couldn’t get that same depth of colour mixing it with the grout.
Just as I was about to start grouting, I decided to mix in a bit more paint. And that is where I’ve gone wrong I think. The grout was sticking to my mixing stick, but I did feel it was still a little too wet. I let it sit for 10 minutes hoping it would set a little, and when it hadn’t, I still grouted anyway.
Because it was a bit too wet it was harder to work with and create a smooth, even finish, and when it dried, the grout has cracked in some areas.
The dried colour is also very light – more like a terracotta, which I don’t mind, but I don’t think it suits the tiles used in this frame.
What I’ve decided to do is tape over the small black squares framing the borders so the terracotta grout will stay between those tiles. Then I’m simply going to regrout the rest of it black, filling in between the tiles properly and making all the coloured tiles really stand out.
The grout job between the small border tiles is okay, so if I still don’t like the terracotta between them, I’ll paint over it with watered down black paint to recolour.
It’s going to look totally different, showing how grout colour really makes or breaks a mosaic!
In the meantime, I have another small mosaic to grout 🙂